Sunday, May 22, 2011

Relearning To Flirt and HOT DADDY

Back in 2000, after I had been married for about 2 years, I realized that I had forgotten how to flirt.  We were down in San Felipe, Mexico for a week with family.  I was down at the beach, just putting my feet in the ocean, when a jeep full of guys came driving up.  They were about 50 so feet away.  They yelled for me to come over to them.  Now, normally, I would have been excited, gone over to them and flirted, and of course, there would have been nothing wrong with going over there and saying hi, but I didn't.  Instead, I froze!  My mind started racing "I'm married!  I can't go over there, I'm married!"  So , instead of of walking over there and having a friendly conversation, I turned around and ran into the ocean.   The guys started yelling crude names at me, and drove away.  Over the years, it didn't get much better, if a cute guy so much as flashed me a smile, I wouldn't even look at him.  I had completely lost "my flirt".

I have realized that I am going to have to start flirting again.  That is where HOT DADDY comes in.  Hot Daddy is the father of a little boy in one of my daughters classes.  One day I thought to myself, "I would like someone to flirt with."  And then I noticed, Hot Daddy.  He is one of those guys that knows he is good looking, you can tell it by the way he walks.  One day, after school,  I was holding my daughter's hand as we crossed the street to go to the car.  I knew that Hot Daddy was walking behind us.  I heard him say to his son, "What's that little girls name."  I heard him respond with my daughters name, I turned around and smiled at him.  He smiled back.  (See now, that wasn't so hard.) 

The next day, when I got to the school to pick up the girls, I waited until I saw his silver mini van (not so hot), drive up and park.  Then I got out and headed across the street.  I could hear him walk fast behind me, and then slow down as he caught up with me, so that we were walking side by side.  I was pushing my youngest in a stroller, and there were a lot of kids blocking the sidewalk.  He said to me, "Let me clear the way for you.", and then he start moving kids out of the way, as if parting the red sea, to make room for the stroller.  I thanked him, and he said, "See, we make a good team."  Oh crap, I totally started freaking out on the inside..... how do I respond to that?  Quick! Think of something clever and witty to say, but all that came out was, "Yes we do." I guess that wasn't the worst thing I could say, I just knew that if I was better prepared I could have come up with a much better response.

Every day after that, I would wait in the car, until he drove up, and then get out and head across the  street.  He would walk fast to catch up, and then walk next to me.  We would small talk and he would open the door for me.  It was fun.  I had no intention of things ever going any where with him.  It was just, after years of being really down on myself and feeling unattractive, it felt good to have a man notice me.

Then there was a brief moment in time when my ex led me to believe that he wanted to get back together. (Which lasted about 3 minutes,)  So I put back on my wedding ring.  I was walking to my daughters class, and Hot Daddy was walking next to me, and the sun was shining in my eyes.  I put my hand up, to cover my eyes from the glare, and he must have noticed my ring, because he took off.  He stopped walking with me, even started parking in a different parking lot.  It has been 5 months, and he still wont even say "hi" to me.  Of course he did the right, thing, but it's not like there was ever anything even between us.  Really, our small talk wasn't anything different then I have with other moms at the school, while we wait for our kids to come out of class.

So, you are probably wondering why I bring up Hot Daddy, if that is all there is to the story.  Well, my mom was in town the other day, to help me unpack.  She went with me to pick up the girls from school.  Walking out of the building, she almost ran into Hot Daddy.  I said "Mom, that was Hot Daddy."  She said that he didn't look like she expected him to look.  But I said to her, "But you noticed him."  He may not be the "type" I normally would go for, but he does not go unnoticed.  My daughter heard me talking about Hot Daddy and wanted to know who I was talking about.  I told her that Gabe's dad was hot.

The next day, driving home from school, she said "I told Gabe that you think his dad is hot."  Oops!  Do not tell 5 year olds things that you do not want repeated.  So if anything comes of this, I will let you know.

I did happen to notice a Hot Daddy #2, the other day, and I think I caught him checking me out.  My kids have 3 weeks left of school, maybe I will get to practice flirting some more.  We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment